Monday, June 30, 2008

lazy weekend

It was a relaxing weekend in Paris. Friday, I went to Angelina - a tea house near the Jardin de Tuilleries with Meagan, Margaret, and Linda to "study" how the French interact in public settings. We had a group project due for our French professor. Basically, this was an excuse to order the guiltiest of all pleasures - their famous African hot chocolate. I'm not sure what was African about it, but it was heaven in a saucer. This drink was so thick it created a light skin on the top after it sat for a while. I was like soup. No, not 'like', it was soup. We could eat it with a spoon.

I ran afterwards. Oh yeah, we made some general observations for our project.

Later that night, the in-Paris-for-the-weekend group made another trip out to the Eiffel Tower.

Meagan, Brittney, and I:


Saturday morning the group headed up to the northside of Paris to visit a flea market. Unfortunately, we didn't find as many goodies as some of our friends who had gone weekends prior. BUT not to worry ladies, you could by an entire lingerie set for your fella for only 5 euro. What a steal. Classy too.

I went to Montmartre afterwards. I like to call this area Movie Paris. It has all the cobblestone streets, quaint restaurants, artists painting away, and street musicians entertaining tourists that you see in films.

A cute house on the way up the hill to Montmartre:

Meagan and I near the only remaining vineyard within the Paris city limits:
Painting Pierres:


The Sacré Couer/my favorite church in Paris:


We stumbled upon another (smaller) flea market near the Abessess metro stop. The entrance to the Abessess metro is one of the two remaining originals designed by Hector Guimard.


The flea market had antiques and odd tchotchkes (Laura word!). Old books, sheets of music, bicycles, teaspoons, typewriters, even shoe molds. It was a big treasure hunt!

The "I love you" wall in Montmartre. It is said in over three hundred languages.


Brittney, Nora, and I went to Parc Floral de Paris later that evening to see the Paris Jazz Festival. I love love love jazz music, so I had been planning to go to the festival since before I left on my trip. We jammed.


Sunday, I woke up and went out to another goods market, except it ended up being another fresh food market. The vendors were hilarious. They were literally singing to passerbyers in an attempt to lure them to their booths. Other vendors were shouting at each other from across the aisles. Competition just gets too 'em, I guess. It was fun to walk through Sunday morning chaos. I went back to the dorm and worked on some homework and ran on a gorgeous path near my dorm. I would have to say the highlight of my Sunday was getting some gelato at Pozzetto. It's a small shop in the Jewish district owned by three Italian guys who moved to Paris, but couldn't find any gelato that suited their fancy. So they opened up their own place. If you're in Paris, go.

Well, the last week of class is here. It's crunch time with tests and presentations. Let's hope I can stay focused.

Also, shout out to Baby Boy Brent the Bomb. How about that, lil bro?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Baby boy?! More like big boy Brent the bomb, big sis.